You never get a second chance to make a first impression. There are so many little ways in which you can maximise the instant appeal of your home. The effort and expenditure you put into preparing it for sale can be an extremely profitable use of time and money.
Emotional decisions are based on sight, sound and smell. Your house must look attractive, the sounds should be unobtrusive and odours should be inoffensive. Below are a few easy makeover tactics to help you sell at a premium price.
- Make sure the front gate works, after all this will provide the very first impression.
- Freshen the front fence with a splash of paint.
- Mow the lawn a few days before inspection.
- Create an instant garden with flowering plants.
- Cover weeds with pine bark or another similar ground cover.
- Repair rusty roof gutters.
- Clean the pool in the morning but remove the pool vacuum before inspection.
- Clean the bathroom/s and kitchen thoroughly and ensure that there is no mould – but make sure there is no smell of bleach.
- Remove any personal clutter from the bench tops and vanities.
- Use indoor plants to liven up rooms.
- Set the kitchen/dining table with place settings.
- Make sure all the beds are made.
- Use flower arrangements in the living areas but don’t overdo it.
- If it is a cold day have the fireplace going.
- Cover worn furniture with strategically placed cushions.
- Remove the pets.
- Use some subtle deodorisers – oil burners are better than incense.
- Turn the television off.
- Play some contemporary music quietly.
- Brew a pot of coffee or bake a cake – the smell says ‘welcome to my home’